What is Chia Seed?
Seeds Chia is native to the native of central Mexico, Guatemala and southern Nicaragua stands out or characterized by its high content of Omega 3 and fibers, helps to fight cholesterol and overweight problem, is also known in Spanish as; Salvia Hispanica, Semillas de Chia or Chian and in English language as; Chia Seeds.
Currently the demand for Chia seeds is immense for the market in the United States, Europe and Asia, who prioritize the consumption of organic food that allows them to have a healthier life, this seed has the scientific name of Salvia hispanica L.
Flax Seeds and Chia Seeds are used to clean the digestive system and to lose weight, its laxative properties help to eliminate toxins and waste from our intestinal system. If you want to know all about the Seeds of Chia, here you will have all the necessary information to continue discovering more of this fabulous Hispano-American Seed.
Do you like Peruvian Foods?: The Best Peruvian Foods. 👈 👈 👈
Origin and Cultivation of Chia Seeds
Chia is a Seed of Mexican origin, native product and consumed by the Aztecs since it was a staple food in the villages, before the arrival of the Spaniards to the American continent the cultivation of the seed is done in the native country , but it was expanded to other countries such as Argentina, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Peru, Bolivia among others.
At the moment the seed is cultivated in Paraguay, Mexico and Nicaragua, by the great demand and the properties and nutritional values it has expanded its culture in countries like Argentina, Bolivia, Australia, Peru, Chile, Paraguay, Spain and in other countries.
The Chia Seed Plant is cultivated at more than 600 masl in temperatures of 15º to 30ºC, grows in sandy loam soils, is tolerant to droughts, needs abundant sun to ensure the quality of the seed, it is mostly cultivated in September to October in spring, the ideal time of harvest is between 4 to 6 months of cultivation, if the maturation time is exceeded the seeds fall and the harvest is lost.
Characteristics and Types of Chia Seeds
Chia seed plant is an annual herbaceous plant of the lamiaceae, grows in the dry areas with abundant sun, the quadrangular stalks of dark green color, can measure between 1 to 1.7 meters high.
The leaves of the Salvia Hispanica grow opposite, connected to the stalk by petiole, they are oval and closed dark green and measure between 4 to 8 cm, with hermaphroditic flowers has a bilabiate chalice in the lower one that expands outwards and downwards and the upper one is ascending and arched.
The fruit is an indendent achene, inside the seeds are found, the seeds are oval measured between 1.5 mm to 2 mm and smooth texture, the color can vary between white, brown, gray cream, or mottled black and has an almost inherent flavor is to say you do not feel the flavor of the seed.
Chia Seeds has 2 types or varieties, distributed by all the zones that are cultivated, the greater part is in Mexico, it varies according to the color, climatic conditions, temperatures, types of soil, cultivation zone among other variants, are:
A) White Chia Seeds
This is one of the varieties of chia, also known as Red Salvia, Dan Shen and Shen Tan, has the same cultivation process as the Black Chia, is characterized by having a round flower, unlike the other seed of black This variety has a little more nutrients and is softer.
It can be consumed and used in different presentations, whole, ground, flour or Chia oil. It can be prepared in recipes, juices, smoothies, in salads, sauces, etc. What is the purpose of the White Chia Seeds good and good? Many people ask themselves these questions, then you will know why it is good to consume it.
Properties and Benefits of White Chia Seeds:
- The white seed provides energy, increases strength and endurance.
- Strengthens the immune system.
- Regulates and improves the functioning of the intestinal flora
- It is a natural anti-inflammatory
B) Seeds of Black Chia
This is one of the varieties of chia, also known as, Oro Chia or Chia del Desierto, has the same cultivation process as the Chia Blanca, is characterized by this species is grown in China being used as a traditional medicine, unlike of the white seed this variety has more antioxidants.
It can be used in different whole presentations, ground, flour or in oil of chia oil. It can be prepared in recipes, juices, smoothies, in salads, sauces, etc. What is the purpose of the Black Chia Seeds good and good? Many people ask themselves these questions, then you will know why it is good to consume it.
Properties and Benefits of Black Chia Seeds:
- Help you lose weight and satisfy your appetite
- Reduces blood sugar levels
- Increase levels of relaxation and brain rest
- Relax the joints, thanks to its Omega 3 content.
Chia Seeds Oil
Chia oil is a product that is extracted from seeds that is rich in fatty acids and omegas, according to its nutritional properties is the oil with the highest concentration of Omega 3, Omega 6 and Omega 9. The oil has no cholesterol, has high Calcium levels, it has proteins and fiber.
What is the purpose of the Chia Seeds Oil good and good? Many people ask themselves these questions, then you will know why it is good to consume it.
Properties and Benefits of Chia Seeds Oil.
- Due to its great concentration in Omega 3, Omega 6 and Omega 9, it regulates blood circulation levels avoiding cardiovascular problems and therefore the heart.
- The oil reduces any type of inflammation of the body, being very useful for people suffering from arthritis and for athletes.
- It is also a product to lose weight, because of its high fiber content.
- The oil helps combat memory problems, thanks to its content in Omega 3
Nutritional Properties of Chia Seeds
Chia seeds have properties and nutrients such as: Omega 3, Omega 6, minerals such as: iron, potassium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, copper, selenium and potassium, in addition to antioxidants, trace elements, vitamins such as niacin, retinol , riboflavin, tianina, flolato among others.
It is a great source oil and fatty acids almost 34 percent of each 100 grams, between omega 3 and omega 6, mostly Omg3, play an important role as it protects us from cardiovascular problems, offers benefits to the brain system, nervous and among other benefits. Chia seeds do not have gluten (0% Gluten)
It is a great source of fiber has more than 30 percent of each 100 grams, helping in the problems of constipation and prevent colon cancer and 23 percent of proteins. It has anti-inflammatory, antimutagenic, antiviral, anti-carcinogenic (lung and stomach cancer) properties in addition to helping ischemic heart disease.
The most outstanding nutritional values of the Chia Seeds
- Omega 3, seven times more than salmon.
- Calcium, five times more than milk.
- Antioxidant, three times more than blueberries.
- Iron, three times more than spinach.
- Fiber, twice as much as oats.
- Protein, twice as much as any vegetable.
- Potassium, twice as much as the banana.
Nutritional composition per 100 grams of Chia Seeds
- Energy —————> 472.0 Kcal.
- Proteins —————> 16,62 grs.
- G. Unsaturated Omg3 —————> 10.54 grs.
- G. Unsaturated Omg6 —————> 7.26 grs.
- Fiber —————> 34.4 grs.
- G. Unsaturated Omg9 —————> 7.28 grs.
- Calcium —————> 529.0 mg.
- Iron —————> 7.72 mg.
- Magnesium —————> 77.0 mg.
- Phosphorus —————> 604.0 mg.
- Potassium —————> 1,031 mg.
- Sodium —————> 39.0 mg.
- Zinc —————> 5.32 mg.
- Copper —————> 1.66 mg.
- Manganese —————> 1.36 mg.
- Vitamin A —————> 36.0 IU
- Vitamin C —————> 15.7 mg.
- Thiamin —————> 0.87 mg.
- Riboflavin —————> 0.17 mg.
- Niacin —————> 5.82 mg.
- Pantothenic acid —————> 0.94 mg.
- Folic Acid —————> 114.0 mcg.
Uses of Chia Seeds
The chia is a seed that has been valued worldwide for its properties and nutritional values, for this reason it has found different uses for health, gastronomy and industrial sector, we present the following uses that chia has:
- Gastronomic uses of the Chia, Thanks to the boom of a healthier life, the seeds were crowned as important foods in the human diet, arrive prepare desserts, juices, food and recipes made with chia that has a great nutritional value and acquire nutrients and benefits it offers. If you ask how I can use the chia seeds in the food, well through the recipes with chia that we have. 👇👇
- Medicinal Uses of Chia, Chia Seeds is a food used to combat problems and diseases such as cardiovascular problems, overweight, constipation, memory and among others, it is recommended by doctors and nutritionists, you can consume it in different presentations such as seed, flour of chia, chia oil or ground chia. If you want to know what benefits chia consumption offers you, you can read it in the next topic, benefits of Chia seeds.
- External uses with Chia, Chia seeds not only have a food use, also the personal care and beauty industry has implemented in the development of products based on chia for its nutritional properties such as Omega 3. Countries like the United States , Korea, Japan, Thailand and among other international markets joined the development of chia-based products. For example, face creams, shampoo, hair creams, ampoules, pills, capsules, hand cream, masks and a lot more products are made, all based on chia.
What are the benefits of Chia Seeds?
What is the Chia Seeds good for and what is it good for ?. There are many people who ask these questions, but you should know that this Seed offers you a series of benefits, I will mention the top 10 benefits of Salvia hispanica L.
Provide energy, increase resistance.
Thanks to its content of potassium and the proteins superior to vegetables, the seeds offer us great levels of energy resistance that we need for our daily tasks. It is recommended for the diet of athletes or athletes for its high nutritional values.
Decreases stress levels
Thanks to the content of magnesium that chia possesses, it helps to reduce the levels of stress and headaches, it is also capable of preventing depression.
Its good for hair
Of course, thanks to its properties such as copper, omega 3 and vitamin B, La chia strengthens, softens, moisturizes and protects hair, it was also proven that it also prevents hair loss.
Help to satisfy hunger
Because of its high amount of fiber and the effect of increasing its weight 10 times in water, the Chia satiates hunger helping to calm the appetite of eating, it is recommended for people who want to lose weight.
Of course, thanks to its content in insoluble fibers that accelerates the intestinal transit and helps to give volume to the feces managing to expel those substances and toxins that our body possesses due to the consumption of unhealthy food or scrap.
Help you lose weight and lose weight
Thanks to its content in fibers and Omega 3, it optimizes the functioning of the intestinal transit and despite having many calories, it helps to accelerate the metabolism in which we can burn the calories that we consume and at the same time clean and purify the body, it is advisable to supplement with a exercise routine if we want to increase the results.
Are good for joints
Due to its content in fatty acids such as Omega 3 and Omega 6, this seed has anti-inflammatory properties, thus eliminating joint pain.
Helps increase muscle mass
for its content in fibers and proteins, the seed helps regenerate muscle tissues and thus increase the size, some nutritionists recommend their consumption if they want to gain muscle mass naturally supplemented with even a type of sport or physical activity.
Reduce Cholesterol Levels
Of course, because it is rich in antioxidants and omega 3, seeds help reduce blood sugar levels and heart health, it also reduces the levels of bad cholesterol that accumulates in the arteries.
Are good for cardiovascular problems or diseases
Thanks to its content in Omega 3, which is a healthy fatty acid that helps lower levels of blood cholesterol and triglycerides, it has also been shown to be very good against cardiovascular problems.
Recommended Dosage and Contraindications of Chia Seeds
The official dose or ration per person per day is 13 to 15 grams, that is 2 tablespoons for adults and for children between 6 to 16 years is 6 grams maximum, some doctors or health centers recommend consuming between 4 to 5 times a week.
It is not recommended in people who are using drugs, as it can alter the effects of insulin or lower blood pressure.
So far, there is no known negative side effect due to chia consumption, but it can be said that consumption of excess fiber can cause bloating or diarrhea, in fact you should follow the indications of the recommended dose or ration, if you want to consume it. or to arrive at a diet with the Chia Seeds, it is preferable that you consult with your doctor about the properties of Salvia hispanica L.
Questions about Chia Seeds
How many calories does chia seeds have?
The Chia is a food that has a regular amount of calories, contains about 472 calories per 100 grams. The great part comes from the fatty acids ie Omega 3 which is good for the cardiovascular system and among other benefits.
Does Chia Seeds Get Fat?
Chia seeds can get fat as long as you consume it in excess, but do not be alarmed remember that you can consume two spoons of chia a day at the most, besides the chia if it is consumed responsibly the opposite happens to help you lose weight and If you want to burn the calories that the chia has, practice some sport or physical activity and you will see the benefits that you will get.
Why consume water with chia to lose weight or lose weight?
The chia to get in contact with the water increases its thickness about 10 times, this combination offers three fundamental benefits that will help you lose weight and lose weight.
- Activates the depurative properties, which helps to expel toxins from the intestinal system through the stool, that is to say it cleans our intestines collaborating in the circulation of the intestinal tract.
- It accelerates the metabolism which will allow us to burn more calories and much faster.
- And finally satisfies the hunger or appetite for more hours, avoiding the excessive consumption of calories and carbohydrates.
How to prepare water with Chia to lose weight?
In a glass of water add a tablespoon of chia and let stand for 60 minutes and consume, if you want you can eat it on an empty stomach so that you notice better results, take into account the recommended daily dose. 👆👆👆
How do you eat or drink Chia?
Chia Seeds can be implemented in salads, juices, soft drinks, extracts in meals or in water alone, you can implement everything you can think of, so do not worry, consume chia and enjoy its benefits.
If you want to know how to drink water with chia go back to the previous question, 👆👆👆 and if you want to know recipes with chia you find it below. 👇👇👇. Now you have no excuse to ask yourself How to lose weight with Chia ?, well now you know how to do it. 😄
Images of Chia Seeds
Recipes with Chia Seeds
Salvia hispanica L. is one of the seeds that is recognized for its high content in omega 3 and fibers, you will find recipes for food and dishes made with chia seeds, to take advantage of its medicinal and healing properties.
And if you ask yourself, how can I consume the Chia Seeds? Well here you will learn how to prepare, make or cook the Chia with these fabulous and nutritious recipes. You can enter by clicking on the images of the recipe you want to learn to cook or you can enter Recipes with Chia Seeds.
⏺ Noodle Salad with vegetables
If you have been very helpful information about Chia Seeds regálanos 5 stars, if have any query or suggestion of Andean fruit, write us in the comments. 🙂